Friday 1 June 2007

Day 35. Derry - Portstewart. 43.2 miles. 3 hours 55

Leaving derry was easy. For a number of reasons, first of which was a signpost right outside the Travelodge. So, I we (Aidan & I) headed over the double-decker bridge to ride along the south bank of Lough Foyle towards Castlerock. A place I've wanted to see for a while as I've heard great things about the coastline from here East and also because I was booked into to talk to some kids at Hezlett School there about cycling and my trip. With this in mind, I left Aidan at Ballykelly while he filled his face. We'd been photographed at a petrol station by some local phot-journalist. Dunno if he'll sell the story. No that it maters much, as press doesn't generate much sponsorship.

Anyhoo, I head off towards Castlerock, and the views really are stunning. Mussenden Temple siting on the cliff top just near Downhill are just the first national Trust treasue along this stretch of coast. You really could spend a few days along here... anyway. I had to go uphill at Downhill. The irony...

At Hezlett school a few minutes later I found out I was to address the WHOLE school. Sheesh. about 120 kids were wheeled into the room and I was introduced and had to try and explain just why I'm doing this, and clearly, there really is no real reason why. There is no advantage, blah, blah.
I just about blagged my way through the next half hour talking about Cyclemagic, Ireland, Sustrans, Ian Paisley Junior and dogs.Nice surprise was a £50 donation from the school. Thanks Mr Campbell and Mrs Gilpin!

Next stop was Coleraine. I was passed by 2 columns of military Land Rovers, which gave me an excuse to use my best glaring face at the enclosed squaddies. Then I saw my first Union Flag in Coleraine it self. Hmmph. Now, I'm not a fan of cycle lanes, and ususly I don't use them, but they really are well thought out in Coleraine, and they did help me get through town quickly. Let's send Andy Salkeld over so he can see how it should be done...

Anyway. Portstewart is a lovely spot. It was bathed in Sun and everyone was eating icecream, miling around on the promenade and generally having summery seaside fun. I pulled up and got chatting with the Bond owners on holiday with their cute 3 wheeled cars.

An old boy talked to me for about 5 miutes, but his whole patter seemed to consist of 'I understaund'. He did point me at the best Icecream parlour in town so I toddled off to the allegedly famous Morelli's. It was good.

I got chatting to a couple with their wee baby in a bit. Damian had a scooter club tee shirt. Lyn who lives in Leicester is from Portrush just a few miles up the coast and rides a scooter so I asked if he knows her. Of course he did, has done for 20 years, and he's mates with her brother in law. It's a small world, and being a top bloke, he invites me over to his for a BBQ that night. Marvellous.

I check in at Rick's Causeway Coast hostel, and while it's not the most salubrious hostel on my trip, it was one of the most relaxed. Rick isn't a check-out time nazi, a bread head or a people-hater. Shame Malcolm in one of the other beds snored like a drain. Lovely bloke tho, but mate if you read this, try NOT to sleep on your back.

Back to Damian. He picked me up on his scooter and whizzed me up to his place. The little 2-stroke felt like a rocket after the tallbike. At his place were his Mother in law, His brother in law Connell (sp) and his wife Julie and blah blah. There was also quite a impressive motorbike collection, including an old RD500YPVS which had me reminiscing.

A marvellous feed and a couple of beers, thanks Damian & Alice, then we went off to the pub. You know the rest. I met a guy called Kerry, more about whom tomorrow. I also found out the squaddies were out in force cos the Queen had been in Coleraine for the day. Shame I didn't see her, I could have tapped her up for a bit of sponsorship. or got her on the tallbike. Then she realy could be your highness... boom boom.

No comments: